Saturday, February 27, 2010

Moving Meltdowns

My friend recently e-mailed me about one of her children who was having a difficult time moving in the middle of a school year. Here are some of my thoughts:

Moving can be SO hard on kids! Every kid is different, but some children are especially resistant to change. They like to be safe and not have any disruptions in the normal routine. My youngest daughter doesn't like change and I remember the two times we moved when she was little she would suddenly start waking up at night and come into our room. I started putting a sleeping bag by my bed and whenever she wakes up in the night she can come in and sleep there. She still does this about once or twice a month believe it or not! That might help a child who is waking up at night to make sure he is getting his sleep. If he loses sleep he will become more anxious.

If your child is not experiencing headaches, stomachaches, or terribly bad sleeping patterns, he will probably get through this phase with your love and prayers! Some kids compare their new teacher to their other one, and maybe she's not as warm and friendly (or pretty!) You just never know sometimes what the "main" issue is.

One thing you could do if you haven't already is e-mail his teacher and ask her to make sure she says something positive to him each day. I know that sounds trite, but to a kid, it means a lot when a teacher compliments an assignment, or perhaps gives a special job to do in the classroom. The other thing you could do is get a book on moving and read it.

Do you remember the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? by Judith Viorst. Well, I saw on Amazon that they have an Alexander book about moving. I haven't read it yet, but I bet it's funny and hits on all the things your child is going through. http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Whos-Hear-Mean-Going/dp/0689820895/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267300547&sr=8-3-catcorr
Getting involved in rec or school sports also often helps students overcome the moving meltdowns. Love and prayer is the most important thing you can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment