Friday, April 7, 2017

Thoughts on Flying


The desire to fly is an idea handed down to us by our ancestors, who— in their grueling travels across trackless lands in prehistoric times — looked enviously on the birds soaring freely through space at full speed,  above all obstacles, on the infinite highway of the air.     - Wilbur Wright (1867-1912

I don't fly often, but when I do, I am always really, really amazed at the technology and people that have helped us arrive at where we are today. To think that we can fly around the world in a vehicle that won't fall from the sky and follows a path without lines, roads, and visibility, is almost beyond my comprehension. The intelligence that God gave many men and women is not the same intelligence that he gave me!

In flying, there is a different level of trust we have to put in the the pilots, plane, and mechanics who check the planes after every flight (hopefully!).  To think about falling out of the sky is terrifying, but researchers tell me it is safer than driving a car on the road! 

My favorite part of flying is take-off because it is just fun to lean back with the plane, look out the window, and see the patterns of the roads, neighborhoods and clouds in the sky. It's just amazing to me.

Does this really have much to do with school counseling? Not much, but as with anything, I could make an analogy pretty easily. My job is to help students "learn to fly", by encouraging them to take risks, dream, and set goals that seem pretty impossible. Would anyone living in the early 1800's ever think that a person could ride a vehicle in the sky (first flight 1903 in the United States) let alone ride in one on a road (first car in 1879 in the United States)? I wonder how many dreamed of those possibilities before they ever came into fruition? We all have dreams that we sometimes don't act on and before we know it, someone else has taken that opportunity. Being in high school is the perfect place to begin dreaming big and finding a way to make things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment