Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Loss For Words

In my previous entry as I was anticipating the start of a new school year I asked that God help me be his hands, feet and heart this year. So far, He has not let me down! As I thought about what my first entry of the school year would be, I struggled with my thoughts. I want my journal entries to reflect the job of a school counselor, but I don't want the reader to misunderstand what I am trying to say. I don't want specific examples of students and their situations to be a generalization of the entire school population.

It has been a very emotionally draining start to the school year, probably the most in my 15 years as a school counselor. Usually this sort of emotional drain starts more like January or February, but the onset has been early this year. Indicative of the rest of the school year? I have no idea.

Let me summarize some of what has happened in the first two weeks without being too specific. A student whose brother died over the summer comes for a daily check in, to make sure someone is there for her, a student is awaiting her mom's last breath from a terrible bout of cancer, a couple of students have had some things happen in their lives for which I had to make a CPS report, some parents have come in to meet with me about their children's medical issues for which they are concerned and want to make sure their children have the proper school support, a student's relative is found dead not too long after returning from service in Iraq, a student's parent has a life threatening surgery the first day of school.

I could probably go on if I sit here long enough to think about it. I wouldn't trade this job for anything right now, because I sense that I have a lot to learn this year, and hopefully God will give me the strength to give each child or family whatever it is that I am able to give.

Don't forget there are a lot of good students who do great things, and I will be sure to have some postings about them this year, so keep reading!

1 comment:

  1. Sharren God couldnt have placed a better person into this position. They are very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete