Monday, September 23, 2013

A Little Love Every Day

I am often amazed that when I seem to be having a rough day God brings along someone to brighten it.  Last week a student shared with me that when he goes to college, he wants to have his sister with Down's Syndrome live in the dorm with him. Today, I woke up a little grumpy (blame it on Monday), and thought the day might not be a good one. My principal cheered me up by stopping by to ask how I was doing.

Then at lunch something totally unexpected happened. A little girl walked all the way across the cafeteria to say, "Mrs. Popenfoose, I have something for you." "What's that?" I said, expecting her to pull a picture she drew with love and care out of her folder. Instead she presented me with a little box. "What's this?" I asked. "It's a necklace and earrings."  "For me?!"  "Yes. My aunt said she had too much jewelry and wanted to give me some. I told her I wouldn't wear this and she told me to give it to one of my favorite people. You are my favorite." I almost started crying right then and there. A girl who does not come to the guidance office very often, thought of me when her aunt was dishing out old jewelry. To me, it is a beautiful necklace. She boasted that it had "real diamonds" in it . . . I may never know, but coming from her, they sure are.  I will never, ever forget that gesture in a time of my life that has been very rough with some medical issues I am facing. I wonder if I could wear that necklace in the surgery room next week??

2 comments: