Sunday, November 20, 2011

Reflections on Success by Ralph Waldo Emerson

I must admit that I have not read much of Ralf Waldo Emerson's works, but after stumbling across one quoted in Charles Swindoll's book "Quest for Character," I think I just might pick up one of his books the next time I go to the library. I have heard the first four lines of this poem before, but I don't recall ever hearing the rest, so thought I'd share in case you hadn't heard it either.
My entry today is simply a copy of this excerpt by Emerson:
How do you measure success?
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child,
a redeemed social condition,
or a job well done;
To know even one other life has breathed
because you lived ---
this is to have succeeded.

1 comment: