Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Days are Good Days


Many in the education world are divided on the topic of snow days. Some would rather not have any, so their year in the spring is not extended. Some take the position that I do~ a snow day a year is good for the mind and soul. At a time when days at school are more hectic and more busy, it's nice to be at home for a day or two to let my mind settle, much like letting dust settle in the attic. When you finally go up there and wipe the dust off, you find treasures you forgot you had.

Giving my mind a rest from the mental energy it takes to spend most of my 7 hour day talking to people (teachers, parents, students, administration, administrative assistants, other counselors, the nurse . . . you get the picture?), is quite a relief.

This year the snow days couldn't have been more timely. I had just come down with the respiratory illness that over 70 students have been calling in absent for each day recently. Did I spend my time cleaning the house because it is always a mess? No. I spent it wandering from room to room doing whatever I felt like doing. I would sit in the sun room and read for awhile, go to the computer and look at Facebook, drink glasses and glasses of hot tea for my throat, and pull out all my scrapbooking paraphernalia (only to discover that my children have aged 4 years in what I thought was only 4 months!).

Yes, it has been a wonderful two days off, letting my mind slip into la la land and not worry about returning a phone call or getting to a meeting on time.

Snow Days ARE Good Days!

1 comment:

  1. You are right - these snow days came at the perfect time. Gave me extra time to search monster.com, ha. - Creed

    ReplyDelete