Sunday, April 25, 2010

One Student, One Day

These last two weeks have been C-R-A-Z-Y. One day this week was taken up almost entirely by one student! How does that happen you say? Well, since I need to be vague, let me try to put it this way: I was in a training meeting and at about 9:30 the principal comes to get me saying a student has been brought down by the teacher due to student saying something inappropriate to another student and looking up an inappropriate website. I talk to student (20 minutes), call dad (10 minutes), send child back to class. I get called to the cafeteria 30 minutes later. Said student has been doing something potentially harmful in cafeteria. I walk student down to clinic and spend time discussing the issue with the nurse (30 min.) Call parents again. Parents come to speak with me and student (another 30 min.) I go get student's homework for the day out of locker and classrooms (20 min.) I get advice and talk to various people a little later to make a plan to help said student (45 min.) What am I up to now on one student? (About 2 hours?) Seems a bit longer due to going back and forth between my tasks and helping said student.
I remind myself this is why I do what I do. I want to help students AND their parents. I remind myself that I don't want to put myself out of business, so bring on the "busyness"!!!

1 comment: