Monday, March 15, 2010

What Constitutes a Good School Experience?

Everyone has a different view of their child's whole school experience from Kindergarten to whatever grade he/she is currently in. I think a major key in whether you and your child have a good experience is how well you and the school staff relate to each other over expressed concerns. As a school counselor, I find that when I take the time to listen to a parent and offer solutions, we end the conversation on a good note because they feel they are being heard and that I will follow up with them.
Parents and students who struggle sometimes have had someone in the school be rude to them, or they perceive that a staff member has been rude. Sometimes a staff member has not been rude at all but because of preconceived notions or other parents' input, they enter the conversation already assuming it's not going to go well. I tell parents to ask questions until they get the answers and help they need. Most school staff are very caring and kind, and if they are not, it needs to be addressed by an administrator.
As a parent myself, I have had a good school experience and so have my children. Perhaps it is because my children are "easy" children to have in class. Perhaps it is because I don't nag the teachers or my own kids about homework, projects or tests. Everyone has a different view of school based on their children and their own personalities, backgrounds and experiences. The best advice I can give is to go to the school expecting a positive experience and most of the time you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment